Sunday, October 22, 2017

Request From Sandra Hoffberg



Dear Ramblers,

Hello from New York!  I have started my postdoc and I am embarking on a comprehensive study of the Amaranthus genus, which contains (healthy grain) crops, (herbicide resistant) weeds, and other relatives. 
I want to understand how all species are related to each other.  I will be able to use this information to answer questions like

·         Which species did the crop species evolve from?

·         Between which species and geographic regions do we expect traits, such as herbicide resistance, to spread?

I need seeds from all different Amaranthus (common name: amaranth, pigweed and/or waterhemp) species from many different locations.  I am asking for you to be a citizen scientist.

Participation in this project involves:

1.    Collecting seeds from an amaranth plant and putting them in an envelope

2.    Labeling the seeds with the GPS point (or address) where you collected them

3.    Mailing me the seeds – I’ll pay for postage





If you are interested in participating, please contact me at collect.amaranth@gmail.com or 914-719-6180.  Project updates will be posted on www.orphancap.com.



Thank you for your important contributions to my research!


Best wishes,

Sandra Hoffberg